Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Talk to the Hamsa!


People on online communities can sometimes be, well, mean. Envy and resentment can run rampant, and you could possibly be a victim of the old "evil eye". You can protect yourself with a few simple things. And they'll add some very unique art to all your spaces -both online and off. I made this image on my smartphone with a few pictures and a photo editor (PicsArt). Great app, and I highly recommend it. But beware, it can be a major time-eater. lol I based this image on amulets that are used to ward off the "evil eye". The Hamsa and the Nazar. Click the links (on the names in blue) for in-depth descriptions of both from Wiki. They are similar amulets from different regions of the world basically.  

I decided to really personalize my "Nazar Hamsa" by including a scan of my right hand (palm down), and a macro picture of my eye that I took some years ago. I also nabbed a picture of the Nazar off the 'net to overlay on my image. The first thing I did was crop the scan of my hand and do some artistic effects. I converted the image of my hand into a HDR black and white image, and then went for a film negative effect. After that, I added a white border mask and made it a bit transparent. Finally, I over-layed a circular cutout of my eye, and on top of that, the picture of the Nazar. To both of these layers, I made them somewhat transparent -adjusting them by eye until they blended in a soft way. 

Because it's my handprint and my eye, this makes it uniquely mine, and therefore, much more powerful. It was created with intent that is aligned specifically to me. I liked the end result so much that I printed it out on cardstock, laminated it, and hung it in my computer/art room window. So to all you haters.... Talk to the Hamsa! :)

*edit There are so many neat things you can do with a picture or a scan of  your palm. 


No comments:

Post a Comment